School days

Logan woke up at midnight last night, clammy, disoriented and his breathing was off. His BG (blood glucose) was 367, yikes. We made the correction, meaning we gave him insulin to get his blood sugar back in range. Tony carried him back to bed, which he’s getting a little too big for, but he was not really awake and had a hard time standing, much less walking.

This morning we were surprised when his blood sugar was still high and was 330. Our first thought is to check the insulin. If it is running low and needs to be changed then maybe it would be that, but it had just been changed, or if  the insulin was exposed to high temperatures it may have gone bad. Our second thought is, maybe he’s getting sick. His blood sugar tends to be higher when his body is fighting a virus. So we dosed him for breakfast, adding the extra insulin for the correction, crossed our fingers that he would come back in range and sent him off to school. (I notified his primary teacher and the the health room aide of his high numbers, which I typically do if Logan’s numbers are out of the ordinary, either too high or too low).

During a typical school day Logan is checked three times at minimum. He will get checked additional times if he is feeling hungry, irritable, overly emotional, if there is a treat to be shared or if there is an extra physical activity planned. Right now he gets his blood sugar checked at 9:15 a.m., 9:45 (on P.E. days) 11:00 and 2:10.

It is so important to have a good relationship with your child’s school. We have been in two different elementary schools since Logan’s diagnosis and have had two different experiences. Communication and understanding is crucial. Also, a willing party to support your child’s needs during the day can be tricky sometimes, yes there are laws, but it can still get tricky.

With budget cuts it’s not uncommon for the nurse to be a district nurse, meaning that she/he is spread very thin and has multiple schools under her care. We were fortunate enough to have people step forward to help Logan in his last school and in our current school they have an active health room that is staffed with a wonderful paraprofessional and parent volunteers.

When Logan was first diagnosed I was at his school a lot, we were and continue to be lucky that I can be available during these times. Being within cell phone reach is also important, as I talk with the school health room aide every time Logan gets his blood sugar checked. We discuss what dosage will be according to the chart, which gives a recommended dosage based on his blood glucose and the amount of carbs he will be eating. We also take into consideration what he’s feeling like at the time, if he needs an extra snack or if he’s been running low or high.

Most of the D-Mom’s I know work from home or have stopped working after their child’s diagnosis, not always because they can afford to, but so they can remain flexible and available. This is not the case for all families, it might even be different for our own family if I had been involved in a career prior to Logan’s diagnosis. As for now this is how we are doing it and it works for us. We are grateful that I can stay home for the time being, albeit we eat a lot of peanut butter, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

The school just called, Logan is 353 and hungry, he will eat a bar, be dosed but not corrected because he is on his way to P.E. and the he will be checked again afterwards. This raises the question of ketones as well, we will push water today, check his blood sugar more frequently and check his ketones. I think he’s getting a cold.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s